My Long Term Returns

This will be some sort of revelations for on my portfolio.

I had never really documented down my long term returns as compared to the market. But while calculating today, I just felt maybe it will be good to put on the record of my past returns till 25 Dec 2017.

Why 25 Dec 2017? If many of you remembered, I restarted my portfolio on 26 Dec 2018. So from then on, the calculation restarted as well.

Before I continue, I like to inform my readers that Simple Investor SG and I will be presenting our latest scorecard system at Invest Fair at Suntec tomorrow (25 Aug 2018) within the InvestingNote booth at 11am and 3pm. If you cannot make it for that timing, Don't Worry. We will still be there between 10am to 5pm on Saturday.

Back to the main topic...

In the past, I had 4 different portfolios to test out different strategies over different period of time. Thus, I will compare my long term returns (including dividend) against that of buying a STI ETF over a similar period.

Do note the following:

1. Share prices of STI ETF is taken from Yahoo Finance
2. Dividend declared for STI ETF is taken from SGX website.
3. Returns = [A-B+Sum of all dividend accumulated during that period]/B

Portfolio A - Period [1/4/2011 to 25/12/2017 - 6 years 8 months]

Portfolio A Returns - 44.82%
STI ETF Returns - 28.29%

Portfolio B - Period [1/11/2014 to 25/12/2017 - 3 years 1 month]

Portfolio B Returns - 18.62%
STI ETF Returns - 13.02%

Portfolio C - Period [1/4/2015 to 25/12/2017 - 2 years 8 months]

Portfolio C Returns - 32.38%
STI ETF Returns - 7.35%

Portfolio D - Period [1/8/2015 to 25/12/2017 - 2 years 4 months]

Portfolio D Returns - 18.58%
STI ETF Returns - 11.78%

Prior to concluding, I must stress that my returns are not fantastic. I have known retail investors whom have did so much better than me over similar period of time. But I am just glad I had at least outperformed the market despite which strategy I choose.

In Short

From the above returns, it seems that whichever strategy I took, my compounded gains were much higher than investors whom purchased the STI ETF (including dividends), if calculated over a period of more than 2 years.

This, again, emphasize on the importance of investing for the long term and also choosing the correct company to invest in at the right share price (not necessary required to be at the right time).

Nevertheless, I am not downplaying the strategy of investing in STI ETF. I had also told friends to invest in STI ETF if they are worried about which company to choose to invest in.

Then again, I have also told them they can sign up for the Moat Scorecard system in assisting them to choose the right company at the right price.

Oh... and do remember, please like our Facebook page (T.U.B Investing) and follow me on InvestingNote.

Comments