APPS Target Price

Without knowing, I realized I had written over 6 articles on Digital Turbine aka APPS. I could probably write another post on "20 points of APPS"

But for this post, I want to try something different. I want to try to find out the "Target Price" (TP) for APPS. 

The reason for doing this is that the share price of APPS has been going on a strong uptrend since 31 Aug 21. It is a bit too fast too furious for my liking, for which I am getting uncomfortable with APPS being my 2nd biggest holding in my portfolio.

However, before I start, I like to define what I mean by TP. Ignore what everyone else say. 

IMO, it is a subjective figure, a self-fulfilling prophecy, a figure that makes an investor feel better when we are bag-holding, and it should be as high as possible, till the point where we think this is ridiculous and you will want to sell.  

With that, I will be having 2 approaches towards calculating the TP:

  1. Comparison against its peers using the average PS, PE, PC, EV/EBITDA ratios - The peers are IronSource (CEO once mentioned this company as a close rival), Roku (CEO talked about this company in the last 2 transcript) and The Trade Desk (The largest ad-tech other than Google and FB).
  2. My personal approach to PS ratio, My PS Growth Valuation Method - I made a over 30 mins Youtube video before, stating that I believe PS ratio and sales growth rate relatively move in the same direction. But one should have assume the ratios by considering the market and the peers.

Furthermore, I will actually calculated the TP per year for the next 2 to 3 years. 

  • This differentiate from the normal way of doing TP. Normally when doing a DCF valuation, people used a 5 to 10 years outlook - meaning if the share price move too fast and reach a price that is based on a 5 to 10 years outlook, it definitely meant that we should sell. 
  • However, IMO, a 5 to 10 years timeline is too far ahead. Too many things could change. I prefer using a shorter timeline such as 2 to 3 years as we can better predict the revenue figure.
  • Do note that the financial year end for APPS is as of March, but results out only in June. Thus, when I stated Mar-22, meaning the end of the financial with results out during Jun-22.
Without further a do, lets move on to the 1st method - Comparison with Peers:

Information taken from Finviz and Morningstar

All Figures are TTM except for EBITDA

With information from Finviz and Morningstar, I calculated the average ratio for each of the category (including APPS), and then, calculated the expected share price per average ratio based on the TTM financial figures. Finally, I took the average of all the expected share price and came up with US$90.880.

This share price is what I deem as the "Current TP". The idea is that "if my peer can have that kind of ratios, why I cannot have as well?".

After that, I went on to calculate FY22 expected share price. For Sales, I used US$900m as the year end Revenue figure. Earning, Cash and EBITDA are based on 1.8 of TTM Figures - indicating an 80% growth in the respective financial figures.

After inputting the TTM ratios, my expected share price is US$161.176.

2nd Method - My PS Growth Valuation Method:

Screenshot of the calculation

The theory has a low Sales growth scenario, a base Sales growth scenario and a high Sales growth scenario.

For Mar-22 figure, it is better to use a high Sales Growth Scenario, since the expected Revenue is stated only to be US$785m, which will be much lower than the expected US$900m to US$1bn figure as stated in the last transcript.

After which, it will be reasonable to fall back on the base Sales Growth scenario - which already deemed the company to be growing at an 80% sales growth rate.

With that I will be expecting the TP to be:
Mar-22: US$157.000
Mar-23: US$150.392
Mar-24: US$259.427

Conclusion

I am glad I did this exercise. I am definitely more comfortable holding on to this company right now. In addition, if it drops ridiculously low, I will still continue to add. 

If you failed to understand what I wrote above, then the summary of TPs are as follows:
Current: US$87 to US$90
Mar-22: US$157 to US$161
Mar-23: US$150 to US$375 (Base Case to High Growth Case)
Mar-24: US$259 to US$800+ (Base Case to High Growth Case)

If you are interested, please do bookmark this Blog or follow me on TUBInvesting FB, or Fundamental Scorecard Telegram Group (please google for the links!).

Stay tune for my next post!

Comments